If you have updated your computer with all the latest Windows and driver updates and still find your computer reporting “No audio output device”, this tech note may help reconnected the audio and video chipsets in your computer to produce sound.
- Open the device manager (Start | Control Panel | Device Manager)
- Highlight the device called ‘Intel High Definition DSP’ in the ‘Other devices’ category in Device Manager
- In Device Manager, go to the View menu and switch from ‘Devices by type’ to ‘Devices by connection’
- Scroll down in Device Manager and locate the device called ‘Intel High Definition DSP’ (which should still be highlighted) to see that it’s now listed underneath an item called ‘Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller’
- Right-click on ‘Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller’ (NOT ‘Intel High Definition DSP’) and choose “UPDATE DRIVER”
- Choose “search for drivers on your computer”, then “choose from a list of available drivers on your computer”
- Select “Controller for High Definition Audio” and install this driver